Due to the concerns related to COVID-19, the Division of Oil and Public Safety (OPS) continues to take precautions to protect the health and safety of our customers and our employees.  All visitors will be required to wear a mask per the Governor’s Executive Order.

Most of our employees are currently working from home, however; 

Our office is open daily from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.  

If no one is at the front desk, please use the doorbell and someone will assist you. 

If you need any assistance outside of these office hours, please contact our office at 303-318-8525.  

Thank you for your patience.

The Explosives Program ensures the safety of workers and the public and protects property by regulating individuals and businesses that use, manufacture, possess, sell, store, transport, and dispose of explosives or blasting agents.

Users of explosives include, but are not limited to, companies engaged in research and development, highway and building construction and demolition, oil and gas exploration and avalanche control.

Individuals who apply for Type I explosives permits are required to:

  • Be at least 21 years of age,
  • Have at least one year of experience working with explosives,
  • Pass a background check, and
  • Pass an exam with a minimum score of 90%. Exams are designed to encompass the regulations for the classification of work the applicant will be performing (construction, quarry, R &, D, etc.).

All owners, partners or managers who will have access to explosive materials are responsible for their organization\'s compliance with explosives laws and regulations must also hold a valid Type I permit.

Corporations, companies, partnerships, firms, individuals operating a business, associations or state or local government agencies involved in the use, purchase, sale, manufacture, transportation or disposal of explosives are required to obtain a Type II explosives permit. Entities applying for Type II permits are required to:

  • Have at least one Type I permitted individual in their employ, and
  • Identify the person(s) responsible for the oversight of the explosives in the entity\'s possession.

Type III explosives permits are issued to companies who store explosives in magazines. Inventory records are required for all types of explosives stored in magazines. Before issuance of the Type III permit, the Explosives Program will conduct an inspection of the magazine storage site(s).